Monday, July 19, 2010

Love in the time of Pollyanna...

A few months ago I read Love in the Time of Cholera and was reminded why Chris and I are MFEO.*  I hated the book.  The hero is a starving artist desperately in love - so in love that he drinks his beloved's perfume and eats flowers that smell like her.  He also follows her around and writes a lot of poetry.  My deep in the soul response was ANNOYANCE and NAUSEA.  Get a job, a dog, a hobby, something.  I rediscovered what I've always known - I prefer a man who makes me laugh.**

So Saturday we watched Pollyanna with the boys.  Pollyanna plays the Glad Game where she tries to find the good in any situation, no matter how bleak.  The game originated when she ordered a doll from a charity and got crutches instead.  SPOILER ALERT.  At the end of the movie, Pollyanna falls and her legs are paralyzed.  Her aunt and friends try to pull her out of despondency by suggesting she find some reason to be glad that she's paralyzed.  The boys are tearing up - very worried, and Chris whispers to me, "I know - she can be glad she can finally use those crutches."  Ba ha ha ha ha.***

* MFEO - made for each other, Sleepless in Seattle
** Chris, when you read this, I love you, you make me laugh, but this does not release you from flowers, chocolate or haikus.
*** I really don't mean to make light of what it is to be handicapped.  I think it's okay to mock a movie that presents "The Glad Game" as a prerequisite for successful surgery to cure paralyzed legs.****
**** I still like Pollyanna even if it's dumb.

1 comment:

Popular Posts