Monday, January 31, 2011

Gender sensitivity...

We're sick.  I'm wallowing.  David kept harassing me to make something for dinner.  That involved me getting off the couch.  I don't know what I was trying to accomplish with the comments below.  I think I have a bottomless need for people to validate that it's hard to be the mom.  Really, when you leave for college, you don't fully get that nobody cares that you're sick the way your mom does.  You will never live with another person who will baby you like that when you don't feel good.  (Again, what was I expecting from my seven year old???)

Me:  David, you know how bad you feel right now?  Imagine you still had to do all your schoolwork, even though you're sick.  I still have to do all my work right now.  Doesn't that stink.
David:  Yeah.  I'm glad I'm not a girl.

So, I didn't have the gender sensitive discussion with him that I should have had.  But I laughed at myself, assured him that dads work really hard, too and got up and threw together something for their dinner.  Future daughters-in-law:  it's not much, but it's all I have in me right now.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of one of the biggest differences between my Mommy Job and my Desk Job - only one of them has sick days. That and performance reviews. Really we need to figure out a way for parents to get an annual review - what are the goals, how will they be measured, and how am I doing? O yeah, that's where the faith part comes in. Hope you're feeling better! Megan

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts