Saturday, December 18, 2010

The nuclear option...

While waiting for his candy yesterday, one of my children said to me,
"Just give me the lifesaver, idiot."
Once my brain had fully processed what this person I birthed had said to me, I calmly and sternly informed him what was going to happen when we got home.  While internally congratulating myself on my restraint, it occurred to me that blatant infractions do not typically flip me out as a parent.  While I may be appalled and deeply concerned, just having a clear course of action calms me down.
"This is a Pearl Harbor situation.  I've got to go with the nuclear option."
It's ambiguity that turns me into a fire-breathing mommy monster - suspected lies, "accidental" fraternal injuries, "forgotten" instructions, ...
_________________________
I had a wrapping party last night.  Wrapping party essentials:
1.  Wrapping paper, tape, blah, blah, blah,...
2.  First and only season of Firefly, possibly the greatest show of all time
3.  Mountain Dew to keep me going into the wee hours
4.  More stocking candy than is technically required

4 comments:

  1. Summer, I just opened your Christmas card and happened to have a few minutes alone at my computer. I read a few of your posts, and I'm so glad I did! Whenever I see you (every 5 years, usually in a very sad situation), I feel a really easy and deep connection to you. And now I can read inside your head and understand why. I loved your post on surrendering. This seems to be The mothering challenge of the last half a century, and probably for millennia before that. Also love the climb up the stairs to defend the lazy attempt to borrow water bottle, and the lifesavers situation. I can so very clearly picture you responding to that!

    I am so glad you are making time to write and share your unique perspective. And your blog looks beautiful! Have a very very merry Christmas, and send my love to all your family. (um, please don't be offended if you don't receive a Christmas card from us- it's been a few years since we've managed one out the door. :P

    Lots of love! Candace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Princess - will there still be four sweet little boys for us to see this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candace, thank you. Dad, I was thinking we could send the offender home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That precious can come home with us anytime. He is a doll!!! Love, Nan

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts