My husband rocked out my birthday this year. That, along with the fact that he freely offered a guiltless sick day on Labor Day, when I had a nasty, nasty stomach bug but no vomiting (That's actually an important detail. I require vomit-evidence to grant more than 2 hours sympathy to him.) that ended with all the dishes done and the house cleaned up, has awarded him my goodwill for at least year.
Chris had me get a babysitter for the day for my birthday. That morning I opened my birthday present and found 6 envelopes labelled with times throughout the day.
He kissed me, told me to open each envelope at the given time and left for work. I settled the kids in with a sitter and sent him a picture of myself leaving for my amazing day.
I opened the next envelope at 10:30. I was a little concerned when I read "Relax and give it a shot" followed by an address. Tattoo? Body piercing? No, he'd gotten me a massage. When I left the massage glowing with relaxation, I found Chris waiting outside. The 12:00 envelope was for lunch with him at one of my favorite restaurants.
|After. The cute little feet are Janet's. The clodhoppers are mine.|
Chris got us box seats to see The Lion King. He had gone home and picked up my two big boys so they could join us. The show was amazing. The seats were awesome. I felt like a celebrity.
So, amazing as he his, Chris does occasionally piss me off. For the past 12 years, I've had a little routine I go through when he really upsets me.** When I start running through the mental list that ends in, "He's a jerk. He doesn't love me," I try to stop and run through the things he has done that show he loves me and he's a good man. Here's a sampling from the list...
- He asked first before he kissed you for the first time.
- He always tells you the truth.
- When you have hard and embarrassing things to tell him, he doesn't shame you and responds with grace.***
- After you lost Caleb, he checked the mail every day so he could get rid of the baby mail before you saw it.
- He gave you a Valentine's Day card in Spanish.****
- He goes out of his way to be nice to your grandmother.
- He's a great dad.
- He rocked out your 36th birthday. Seriously, it was better than 21, and that's impressive.
"But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you..." W.B. Yeats
* I realize that sentence puts me in very special nerd category.
** Actually this is the more mature later phase of that routine. I'm leaving off the childishness and selfishness that precedes this.
*** He does, however, shame me over my sense of direction and capacity for insanity. See this and this.
**** I don't speak Spanish, which made what would have been a cheesy Valentine's card into something truly entertaining.